Sunday 27 February 2011

Russian Doll Sewing


Hello lovelies '
hope your weekend went well . I've been busy with my sewing machine today .
I'm actually fortunate enough to have three sewing machines ...none bought by me .
First there is my ancient singer.....the machine I grew up with, and it was pretty old then....it weighs a ton and I've only kept using it as we are old friends. Sadly it needs a new belt and the electrics are increasingly dodgy .
I also have my Nannas old machine , an elna , which is quite complicated looking so I haven't tried to figure it out yet .
Today I've been using my Mums old machine ...a pretty basic Toyota ...but nice and straight forward .

So enough waffle ...what Have I been up to ...wellllll. I can't actually show you the finished item today as it's a Birthday pressie for my niece and I don't want to spoil the surprise . I can show you the inspiration Here Isn't that gorgeous ?
I've always had a soft spot for Russian Dolls or Matryohska.
We had a set at home when I was little ...they were red and had about six dolls all nesting inside.
The only set I have now is a smaller version ( in the picture at the top of this post)given to me by my Brother many years ago . Sadly some of the smaller ones inside have been lost or broken over the years and I'm always on the lookout for an other set , but I find some of the the modern ones overly ornate .

I do have a cute little keyring doll I purchased from the lovely Rachel last year.........



Isn't she sweet ? Sadly she looks a little more tatty these days but I still love her smiling face :0)

So When I saw Andies lovely version it seemed like the ideal, simple sewing project ....easy enough to finish in a weekend ( coz I always leave these thing to the last minute !)and the perfect opportunity for me to play with pretty fabric and trims ...oh and felt, can't forget the felt....I seem to have a bit of a thing about felt at the mo...had you noticed ????

So I'll be back soon with a big reveal and a tutorial as I've remembered to take lots of pictures of the stages for you lovely peeps :0)



Jacquie x

P.s. I know only one of the dolls at the top of this post I a Russian doll by the Japanese ones are very cute too ,so I had to include them :0)

17 comments:

  1. How lovely - am looking forward to the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are so sweet, very cleverly put together, well done :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to see what you've been up to.xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, I am waiting to see your tutorial! Sometime ago I made some Matryoshkas in felt and I loved it. There's the link to the template on my blog if you want to have a look. I always appreciate tutorials and how much work is on them. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow! My little on collects keyrings for her school bag. I look forward to your tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a new crochet book with crochet Russian dolls in -they look a bit compliacted but I might give them a go.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look lovely, can't wait to see your finished version, dee x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Flattered!!
    Thanks for the linky love.
    Looking forward to seeing what you make.
    Andi :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ma che bella questa matrioska!! provero' a realizzarla!! Anto

    ReplyDelete
  10. nice!!
    I love matriushkas ans kokeshi
    tranks from Chile
    c@

    ReplyDelete
  11. So sweet indeed, I managed to find some lovely russian doll fabric in December and made a couple of wash bags for pressies for friends kids. I look forward to seeing your tutorial... is there an end to your amazing talent! Thanks for al the inspiration xox

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love russian dolls - I have quite a collection now. It is something that I keep meaning to do a blog post about.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Jacquie for showing us such lovely, inspiring projects.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very cute Jacquie, I love Russian dolls too and have a very handsome soldier, which my children played with when they were little.

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear from you , thank you for taking the time to leave a message.